What We Did This Weekend:
Murder Mystery and Spooky Mummy Pizzas

Some friends hosted a Murder Mystery at their house on Friday and invited us. Check out this incredibly detailed invitation they made (very impressive). Unfortunately, unlike last year (you can skip ahead to the 3:40 mark for the good stuff), I didn't have enough time to perfect my character's accent. But at least we were able to come up with some good costumes.


Brookie borrowed some cool clothes from a coworker and came up with a very "Rita Skeeter-esque" outfit. The spectacles she's wearing only cost one dollar. However, proving that you really do get what you pay for, only one lens was included.

Just hours prior to the party, I finally had a good idea on how I could throw together a costume for my character, the Duke. I pinned some of the awards I'd won in my youth to my suit to make it look like I was a highly decorated member of a regal army. Some of the medals on my chest were the Eagle Scout, 1996 5A State Baseball Champions, NJCAA 2002 Conference Baseball Champions, Duty to God, and a very cool looking keychain from Spain that I made look like a medal. Around my neck I had my medal of valor(-dictorian), and for a sash, I used my old Boy Scouts merit badge sash (do the Boy Scouts call it a sash?). The entire thing was accented by a large black belt I stole from Brookie's closet and wore on the outside of my suit. And, of course, I had my sword at my side the whole time. I was so glad that I was finally able to use all of that stuff I won that has been sitting in a box downstairs since high school.

We had a really fun time and I'm happy to report that we caught the murderer.

Saturday was Halloween. Since we like seeing kids in costume, we were excited to maybe have a few trick-or-treaters come to our door that night. Fortunately, we only had one fewer trick-or-treater this year than last year. Unfortunately, last year we only had one total. Oh well. One day we'll live in an actual neighborhood. But by then, trick-or-treating may be entirely replaced by truck-or-treating and all of the other "safer" alternatives. It's a miracle we all survived our childhoods.

We were very excited for our dinner on Halloween night. We made Spooky Mummy Pizzas. Yum. I love pizza, even the non-spooky variety.* We also love making our own pizza. A while back we found this recipe for an awesome pizza sauce, and we've used it ever since. And now, after trying a new pizza dough recipe Saturday, we've found an excellent crust solution. The only drawback being that you need to plan ahead because it needs to "rise" in the refrigerator over night (how is it that "refrigerator" and "fridge" are both spelled correctly? Shouldn't they both have a "d" or both leave it out?). But the results were very, very tasty. We also really liked using provolone cheese instead of mozzarella this time.

*Funny story: When Brookie and I were dating at BYU, she was speaking with her mom on the phone, telling her about me. Her mom was trying to get to know me, and was asking Brookie questions to ask me. One of them went like this:

Brookie-"My mom wants to know what your favorite flavor is; hers is grape." Todd-(after pausing to decide) "Mine is pepperoni."

My answer probably told her more about me than just my favorite flavor.




Our pizzas ended up looking like ancient Egyptian burn victims after cooking them, but they tasted SO good. My pizza had a layer of pepperoni beneath the cheese and two more slices under its olive eyes.



Sunday night some friends had us over to their place for fondue. It was the chocolate, dessert version of fondue, and we were dipping chunks of rice krispy treats, chocolate chip cookie dough, chocolate chip cookies, marshmallows, apples, pineapple, and Brookie and I brought some dried cherries and cranberries. It was very tasty. However, despite my longing desire to gorge myself with chocolate chip cookies and rice krispy treats covered in melted semi-sweet chocolate, I stuck mostly to the apples and dried fruit. Moderation is a good thing.

And that's what we did this weekend!

Go to the board!

Comments

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts