Week in Review: Lose* It!

*That reminds me... I can't stand it when people misspell 'lose' by using 'loose' instead. Loose is like, "my belt is loose," or "there's an elephant loose in the park." I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here. The education level of our readers is pretty high. Sorry. I just think people that can't spell a simple word like 'lose' are loosers.

Our weekend was pretty dull. Friday we had some pizza and watched football with some friends. Saturday we slept in, took down our Christmas tree, and ran errands. We also tried to find a good used dryer to replace our old one that was damaged in the Christmas Vacation Basement Flood of '08. Sunday wasn't any more exciting than usual. Our church changed from 11:00am to 9:00am, which made for a lot of free time after church. And, unfortunately, we've learned that if we nap during the day, we can't get to sleep when it's time for bed.

So, this week, and for subsequent boring weekends, you get a "Week in Review" which will comprise things that I'd like for us to remember.

Thursday was New Year's Day. We said tchau to 2008 while chaperoning a multi-ward New Year's Eve youth dance in our stake. We weren't too excited to be there, but it wasn't as bad as we had imagined. We were asked to help with preparing the "breakfast" that was to be served just after midnight, so we spent a majority of our time in the kitchen cooking and chatting with our dentist and our bishop.

I'm not one to really make resolutions**— mostly because I either forget about them by Valentines Day, or give up on them by Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. But this year we've made some good measurable goals. Last year I had an unspoken goal of not getting any fatter, and I think I succeeded. I'm just as fat as I was at this time last year. So this year, we're taken things to the next level. We're going to lose weight. Not a lot. Just two pounds. Total. Like, between the two of us.

Okay. I'm kidding.

**Here's an example of my pathetic attempts at New Year's Resolutions. In January of 2005, I made a goal to read 10% of the assigned material in my Master's program. Pretty lofty goal, huh? My thinking was that even I could read 1 out of every 10 pages, no matter how boring the text. I was wrong. I still didn't read the various journal articles and chapters my professors assigned (Yet, miraculously, I was able to leave with a 3.72 GPA... What does that say about that institution?).

We really do have personal weight loss goals for 2009. I hope they are realistic, but I guess we'll see. In a successful effort to spoil me, Brookie teamed up with her mom to get me an iPod Touch for Christmas. Ever since, I've been browsing the App Store to find cool little programs to waste my time. One program I found might just be the key to this year's resolution actually sticking. It's called "Lose It!" and it's available for free for anyone out there with an iPod Touch or an iPhone.

It is a calorie tracking application that has helped make us more aware of what we shove in our pie holes. Now we both have apps on the iPod that are helping us track our daily caloric intake. We have also recommitted to gym attendance (lately we'd only been averaging 2-3 trips a week).

I can't help it. I'm just a tech-geek. If there's a gadget that does the same thing I could do by hand, I'll do it the techie way, thank you very much. Take journaling for example. The last entry in my actual journal is from August 19, 2007. But, archived in this blog is a digital record of most everything significant (and insignificant) that has happened to us along the way. So now that I have a little do-dad to enter information into each time I eat or exercise, it's been kind of fun for me, and I'm pretty sure it is helping. For example, I didn't snack last week nearly as much as I usually do. Why? Well, every time I eat something I've got to enter info into that Lose It! app, and I'm lazy. I'd rather be hungry than take the time to search the database for the chips I just ate, decide how many servings I had, and type all of that stuff on my iPod. Plus just having an idea of how many calories I have left in my daily budget has helped me know just how many pieces of pizza I can have.

I hope you've made some goals for 2009 too. Wish us luck on ours. And that's our Week in Review.

Comments

  1. you hit the nail right on the head. you are definitely not loosers. i think that is the MOST misspelled blog word. ever.
    and it took be about 2 chunks of time to read your christmas recap. it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that one was pretty long. I glad you liked it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My resolution is to have a job. I hope I can make it. Julie is trying to prove that she can run and not be weary so we have started training for a 5K in April. I've enjoyed that so far because I like running and it will hopefully help me loose some weight.

    PS. I tried to find a site that would translate my reply to bad spelling but instead I translated it to French and then to Greek and then back to English. I like the result.

    Is my resolution d'? have a work. J'? hope that I can this make. Does Julie examine in order to it shows qu'? it can run and it is not lasse thus we have begun the training for a 5K in April. I'? ; has the VE appreciated this jusqu'? here because j'? like it runs also m'? it will help if all goes well it relaxes a certain weight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts