What We Did This Weekend:
...In Case You Forgot

This edition needs to start on Thursday evening, since there was a theme for most of the weekend. Yep, Thursday, September 4th. Sound familiar? Here's a clue: It's the annual return of a past date...my date of birth.

Brookie, as usual, let me get the nicest frozen pizza at Hy-Vee for my birthday lunch. And, as is becoming customary, I grabbed the DISH brand deep-dish pizza, made locally at a restaurant by the same name in Liberty, MO.

Brookie also made a me quite possibly the greatest birthday cake ever. True, it might not have been the prettiest cake you've seen, but holy cow... If cakes are made for eating, this was the cake to end all cakes. You've probably heard of "Better Than $$* Cake," right? Well, it was like that, only better.

*Don't forget, this is a family blog.

Instead of just putting all of the batter into one pan, cooking the cake, poking holes and filling them with sweetened condensed milk and caramel, covering the cake with whipped cream, and sprinkling crushed Heath Bars on top, she put the batter into a pair of 9" rounds, baked them, poked the wholes, poured the sweetened condensed milk and caramel, then (and here comes the secret to this birthday cake's awesomeness) she put whipped cream on one and put the other right on top of the first, added more whipped cream on the outside, and lastly the Heath Bars. Oh my gosh! It was awesome!


When Brookie got home from work, she took me to dinner. I was hoping for pizza again, since, well, it is my favorite. But I couldn't believe where she took me: The Dish, in Liberty, MO. It was soooo good, even better than the frozen pizza I had for lunch. It was just as good as the fabled Eduardo's in Chicago (not to mention about eight hours closer). When I found out where we were going to dinner, I realized why she'd had an odd look on her face when I chose my frozen pizza for that day.

After dinner we went home for presents. I got a sweet kitchen knife (which is easily the nicest knife I have ever even held), a stove-top griddle/grill (also sweet), and a golden ticket for a Scion xB hat (and yesterday I found one of two left in my size in the entire country in Pennsylvania, and they're shipping it today); and, last but not least, Brookie gave me a pair of tickets to Friday night's Royals game.

So, Friday we went to the game extra early. There was no promotional give-away at the gates (but is was buck night). I just wanted to arrive early enough to see the Indians take batting practice. As much of a mess as the Royals are right now, their stadium is even more so. It is literally a construction zone. They are planning to complete all of the renovations in time for opening day next Spring. But, despite the incompleteness of the stadium and the play on the field (Royals lost 8-3), we had five hotdogs, cheese fries, a pair of small soft drinks, and a great time.

Saturday we invited ourselves to a friend's house to watch the BYU vs. Washington game on FSN. At first we didn't think that he actually had that channel on his basic cable, but come game time, there was Max Hall driving the Cougars down the field.

Sunday we had dinner with some friends after church. We had invited them over about two months ago, and this was probably just the obligatory reciprocation of dinner invitations. But hopefully we weren't too annoying, since we invited ourselves over this Saturday to watch the next BYU football game.

And that's what we did this weekend.

Comments

  1. Very happy birthday. Glad to see it was a good one. Sorry we couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts