Five Minute Friday: If I had $1,000,000

(This week I cheated and copied a post from my private blog that I'd written recently. But it still took me more than five minutes to get the images to show up right.)

I always hear about people blowing enormous sums of money, whether they won the lottery or signed a huge contract with a professional athletic franchise. This morning the thought occurred to me: If I won a million dollars today, in one lump some payment, what would I do with it?
  1. Tithing (-100,000 = $900,000)
  2. Buy this house in Lee's Summit in the New Longview subdivision.
    (-$350,000 = $550,000)
    New Longview, 4 bedrooms
  3. Buy this car for Brookie.
    (-$30,000 = $520,000)
    Honda Pilot
  4. Buy this car for me.
    (-$25,000 = $495,000)
    2011 Honda CR-Z
  5. Buy matching iPads for us, and one each for the grandparents (5 total iPads).
    (-$3,400 = $491,600)
    Black or white?
After that, there may be a shopping spree for new clothes, kitchen appliances, furniture, etc. So, I'll take $11,600 for that, just to be safe. That leaves a total of $480,000, plenty of money to invest and allow to grow with annual interest. The interest alone in one average year would be enough for Savannah's college education. I'd still keep my job at Cerner, so we'd still be able to live off of my income each month. Our home and our vehicles would be paid for, so it would allow my income to go even farther. Plus, we wouldn't just go down and buy brand new cars. We'd find good used versions of those cars, so we'd save even more.

It's good that I'm making these decisions now, just so I won't have to debate the issue in the event I run into a million dollars this year.

Comments

  1. Don't forget to take out those stinkin' taxes! It'll get you every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammie loves the ipad suggestion! Can you make it one that serves you hot chocolate with a touch of the screen? Grammie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts