What We Did This Weekend:
Going to Market

This is one of my favorite weekends every year—the first time we go to the Farmers' Market in downtown Kansas City. But, before we get to that, here's what we did for date night:

We called some of our friends and invited them out to dinner with us after which we invited ourselves over to their house for some games and ice cream. There is a new Noodles & Company in Lee's Summit. Before now the closest one was in Overland Park on 135th Street. There was nothing special about this Noodles & Company, just that it took us 10 minutes instead of 25 to get there. Good food. And I never feel so full that I'm sick when we eat there.

After dinner we went back to our friends house and played some games and ate more than our share of ice cream. I used to hate playing games; probably because I had bad experiences in college playing with friends in my student ward. I'm a competitive guy. I really hate losing—just another reason I've never been very fond of board games.

But I'm getting over it. It's much more fun if I just try to, well, have fun. Friday night we played Take Two (a crossword game played with Scrabble tiles), Zigity, and Clue.* We had a ton of fun and a great date night.

*Okay. I confess. Despite my *superior* intellect, I still don't get Clue. I guess you could say 'I haven't a clue.' About the only time I know someone or something isn't suspect is when I make a guess and someone shows me one of the cards. I can't deduct beyond my own cards and what I see of others' cards. However, the last game we played, I tried to pay attention to which rooms everyone else was heading, and, despite having ruled out only one suspect entirely (the one in my hand), and having a hunch about one other suspect being innocent (with no actual proof), I figured 'what the heck,' and made a formal accusation. Turns out I guessed right and won the game, doing so one turn ahead of Brookie who also knew the answer, but had actual proof and used logic to find it. Needless to say, I was shocked that I had been right.

Saturday morning we got dressed and headed to the Kansas City Farmers' Market. We love that place. We walked around, enjoying the people, the samples, the sounds—pretty much everything. We bought some bread from some Amish vendors to go with dinner. We also bought some spices and pita bread, red peppers, rhubarb, and some flowers. If you haven't been to this particular Farmers' Market, make a point to go one Saturday morning. Maybe you'll see us there.

After the Farmers' Market we went home and did our chores. Brookie cleaned the house and I worked on the car. I was very proud of myself. I changed the oil in the Zion xB, and even got ambitious enough to change out the bulb of one of our fog lights. Some people might think I'm crazy, but I love changing my own oil. It makes me feel like I've really accomplished something. It's the same kind of feeling I get from mowing the lawn.

The rest of our Saturday was spent going to the gym, getting hair cuts ($6.99 special at Great Clips, no coupon necessary through May 7), helping new move-ins in the ward with boxes and other heavy stuff, doing laundry, washing and vacuuming the car, and finally settling down with some homemade Clam Chowder, Amish whole-grain bread, and Rhubarb Crisp for dinner.

That's what we did this weekend.

Go to the board!

Comments

Popular Posts