What We Did This Weekend:
She is the Champion

As usual we stayed busy this weekend. With college football getting its foot in our weekend's door, Saturdays are even more packed than normal. Sundays are often a nice break from the week's hectic schedule, but not always. With such full lives, we really appreciate our time set aside each Friday for Date Nights.

This particular Date Night began at Applebee's. And, for the first time in over a year, our waiter brought out something besides a Quesadilla Burger – of course, that was only because we met up with some friends for dinner and they ordered other items off the menu. We stayed true to our favorite Applebee's entrĂ©e, not even cracking the menu before ordering.

After dinner we caravanned over to the local family fun park, Paradise Park, for some extreme miniature golf. Before taking our putters to the green, a few of us tried our luck in the batting cages. After talking a big game, and perhaps alluding to the "fact" that "fast" baseball speed in these public cages is not actually fast, I deposited my token for my 20 "fast" pitches and proceeded to foul-tip three, and hit one for a weakly chopped ground ball to the right side. The other 16 I missed entirely. First of all, their "fast" was actually fast. Second, balls being thrown that hard from 40 feet away after sundown would be hard for anyone to hit well. And third, most of them were probably six inches off the ground and a few inches outside. But, no matter what excuses I use, I looked like an idiot in my standard issue yellow batting helmet (which, counting my blessings, was not nearly this redonculously large.)

Moving to the miniature golf course, there was something special in the air (No – I'm not talking about that alluring dead-worm smell emanating from the surrounding landscaped ponds). Friday night was Brookie's night. She was in rare form, putting for birdies and pars on nearly every obstacle-filled hole. I, on the other hand, was not quite so sharp.

If you know me, you probably picked up on my competitive nature. I have tried. I cannot lose on purpose to boost someone's self-confidence, no matter how cute, how depressed, or how young they are. I did everything I could think of (short of cheating) to pull off the come-from-behind win. But, in the end, Brookie's birdie barrage was too much to overcome. She easily beat me by five strokes, logging her first miniature golf spouse victory. But, being the kind-hearted, tender, loving wife she is, she consoled me by allowing me to join in her silly victory jig. So, as previously determined, Sheridan's was on me that night.

And that's what we did this weekend.

Go to the board!

Comments

  1. Wooohooo, go Brookie! I like to check up on your blog, you cute kids!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts