What We Did This Weekend (actually just on Friday): Balloons, Kids & Everything Silver

Friday was September 18th, which means it was my birthday and this year I celebrated the big 25 – my silver, a quarter of a century old, and now in my mid-twenties (luckily Todd turned 30 just two weeks ago, so 25 isn’t so bad!).

Growing up, my mom was always amazing at the birthday thing – even when we didn’t have much money to spend on lots of presents or expensive parties, she always made me feel so special on that day, even just with little things. She always did a cake and made us our favorite meal. I remember one birthday, I think I was 11, she had filled 11 balloons with a special surprise for me to pop open each of the 11 days before my 11th birthday. So, when Todd and I got married it was very important to us to carry that on and always have birthdays be a big deal. Before this past Friday, my best birthday with him was our first one together when I turned 20. He had planned a scavenger hunt for me all around Provo, ending at one of my favorite breakfast places where all of our friends met up with us to have biscuits and gravy.

But this birthday is now my favorite so far. On Thursday night, as I was picking out what to wear on Friday (because you have to look good on your birthday!), Todd had me open one of my presents early. Inside the silver wrapping paper was a silver box. Inside the box was a silver necklace and two silver bracelets. I hadn’t even thought about it being my silver birthday, so I was so excited for him putting that together. He had already offered to make me biscuits and gravy (my favorite breakfast meal) for Friday, but we decided to make it on Thursday night due to seminary in the morning. So, after the seminary students left on Friday morning, we sat down and ate the biscuits and gravy (if you like biscuits & gravy, ask Todd for his recipe; it’s the best!). Then I headed off to work with my silver jewelry and silver shoes.

At work, the other office girls were so sweet to me. They had all brought me cards and they took me to lunch at in-gre-di-ent (one of my new favorites). While we were out, my boss picked up a special ordered cake (red velvet with cream cheese frosting from 3 Women and an Oven) and some ice cream, so that when we got back we had a little party. (As you can see, this day I wasn’t going to be counting any calories since I had already had biscuits and gravy, gone out for lunch, and was about to consume a giant portion of red velvet cake, and that was all before my cake that Todd was making me and going out for dinner). I got another surprise during work, a delivery man walked in with a big box of roses for me from Todd. So after I left work (2 hours early, I might add; I think everyone should be able to set their own work schedule on their birthday) I drove home and as I came up the block, I saw that my yard had been decked out with giant circles spelling “Happy Birthday” and balloons and streamers all over my porch! I went into the house and Todd gave me a card that revealed the culprits of this little surprise, 3 of my dearest and closest friends. Then Todd had me open all of my other presents. Todd had gotten me 2 new pairs of shoes, my mom sent me some adorable stationary, a few cards from grandmas, and Todd had arranged for some children, who are very near and dear to me that live far away, to draw me birthday cards. I was already kind of emotional at how I felt so loved from Todd for all his surprises and my girlfriends for the decorations, then when I read these little cards that expressed their love for me, I just couldn’t stop crying! It was great!



After we opened all the presents, we went to the gym and tried to burn a lot of calories. Then we came home and got ready to go to dinner. On our way to the restaurant, Todd revealed that we were going to RC’s (my favorite restaurant in KC). When we got there I heard him tell the hostess that he had a reservation for Reynolds and she said, “Yes, Reynolds, party of 18.” I was so surprised! He had arranged for lots of friends to come dine with us along with all their adorable children. Todd had also arranged for their kids to make me little cards – and two of the kids even had their artwork framed for me to hang in my home. They will never know what a special gift all of those cards and drawings were to me and to share my birthday with all the kids! It means so much to me to have all of these beautiful children in my life.



So, after dinner, we all went back to our house and Todd had whipped up a triple-layer buttermilk sponge cake with cranberry-rasberry preserve filling and white chocolate butter frosting! Yum! We cut the cake and while the adults talked, the kids watched Wallace & Gromit. It was such a great day! I felt so loved by all of our friends, all the children, and especially my darling husband. I am so grateful for them all in my life! And that’s what we did for my birthday.








Go to the board!

Comments

Popular Posts