What We've Done Since Last Weekend: Five Whole Years

As usual, our weekend escapades were full of fun stuff to blog about. But, truth be told, the real story happened mid-week. Brookie and I celebrated our fifth anniversary. It's hard to believe that we've been married for five whole years, but then again, it seems like it has been longer than that (but in a good way).

When we lived in Salt Lake City and I had a job that required me to shower, shave, and brave traffic every morning, it was much easier to plan surprises for my June Bride. I could cut out on work a little early or show up a little late in order to run some special errands. But, although working from home definitely has its advantages, it's hard to do much of anything secretly, especially when my Best Friend Brookie has our family's only car all day long.

This year I did most of my 'dirty work' on Tuesday night after I dropped her off at church for mutual. In my 150 minute window I was able to get most everything I needed to try and make this June 24 as special as possible. I drove home, then to Kohls, then Target, TJ Maxx, Bed Bath and Beyond, then back to Target. By then it was getting close to the time I needed to pick Brookie up, and so I made one last stop at Beauty Brands on the way back to the church.

We had a great night celebrating our fifth anniversary the next evening. Along with a few surprises and gifts, we had a nice dinner at a restaurant at the Plaza, Baja 600. We love trying new places and we really liked the food there. It was Southwestern-Mexican-style stuff, and it was good. Brookie had a salad with carne asada, and I had some chicken fajitas. And, of course, we couldn't pass up the Cheesecake factory for a slice of White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle cheesecake on our way home.

It seemed like we were a little more reflective this year. In the days leading up to our anniversary we shared our memories of the days leading up to our wedding five years ago. We may not have done anything spectacular for this anniversary, but the reminiscent simplicity of the occasion made it special.

After Wednesday night it was back to the normal day-to-day grind. Friday night was date night again, and what better way to start off our sixth year of date nights than dining on a pair of Quesadilla Burgers at Applebee's? Big celebrations are nice and all, and new restaurants in fancy shopping districts are great too, but it's the normal, every day occurrences that really make life worth living.

Saturday was really busy (which has also been a regular thing for us). Brookie and some friends threw a baby shower that morning, and I was left home to cut the grass and barbecue some pork spare ribs. The Elders Quorum picnic was later that evening, so I had to start the ribs at noon for them to be done in time for the activity. The two of us couldn't finish off an entire slab ourselves, so we enlisted some friends, and they were very grateful. So were the missionaries, who got to take home the leftovers.

Sunday was church and then a little birthday party for our friends' daughter. We have such a great time getting together with our friends and all of their kids. It's so much fun to share some laughs with them because of what one of the kids did or said.

So basically, that's what we've done since last weekend. And here's to another fabulous 60 months of marriage.



Go to the board!

Comments

  1. Congrats on the 5 years! But lets talk about these ribs. How did they turn out? Any complications or did it all go smooth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 5 years! Love the picture! Have a great & safe vacation... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you had a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts