The Announcement
(No– Not That Announcement)

Brookie and I have had a tough time with this decision. We've recently been given a great opportunity, and the announcement is that we're going to take it. I have been offered a job as the Assistant Creative Director for Applied Creative, Inc., an advertising agency based out of Scottsdale, AZ.

This opportunity kind of came out of nowhere. But it's kind of funny how stuff happens at just the right time. Ever since I was looking for jobs after college, I have received weekly emails from Monster.com (mostly because I'm too lazy to delete my account with them). Since I had a good job, I had just been deleting them without opening them. But for whatever reason (chalk one up to curiosity, I guess), I opened one that came about five or six weeks ago. There was a job posting for Applied Creative for this position, and based on their stated qualifications, of which "creativity" seemed paramount to formal education, I touched up my resume and portfolio, and sent them off.

We were a little surprised when we got a call back requesting an interview less than two days later. I explained that I was living in Kansas City, but that my wife had some time off coming up because of Spring Break, so we scheduled an interview, rented a car, and planned a nice trip around the event.*

*Our sincerest apologies to our friends in Arizona if they are upset that we came to visit them with ulterior motives. We truly would have eventually come just to see you, but this interview gave us the excuse we needed.

So, that Saturday morning when we got up early and drove into the greater Phoenix area, we actually did have time to visit a few Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, so we didn't lie about that. And, we really did want to catch a Spring Training game while we were in town, so we probably would have gone up to Phoenix anyway. But our real reason for going was to interview for this job with Applied Creative.

I hate interviews. I used to think I was good at them, but maybe I'm less charming than I once thought. It was the typical routine. I arrived and announced myself to the front desk, they issued me a visitor badge, and ushered me into a room with three waiting executives, ready with their interview questions. I did my best, but in the end, I didn't feel very qualified, so I assumed that would be the end of it. But they called back Friday and offered me the position. We couldn't believe it. I guess they must have seen something they liked during our interview.

Brookie and I love it here in Missouri, and we've made some great friends. But they offered me a salary that would allow Brookie to stay home if she wants. And you really can't beat their weather. So we've decided to accept their offer. I'll begin my new job May 1, so we'll be moving to Scottsdale this month.

We're a little worried about selling our house, but everything else has kind of fallen into place, so we have faith that this will too. We're sad to see our time in Missouri come to an end, and we're very, very sad to have to say goodbye to all of our friends. But, just remember, you can always see what we've done this weekend by checking our blog. We're just excited that there won't be any more weekends that involve snow.

Click here to see our favorite part about this whole thing.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh! Congratulations! How exciting, I'll have to come to terms with being so, so sad (that you guys are leaving) after the shock wears off!

    Arizona is nice! And think of all the spring training games you'll get to see in the years to come!

    Congratulations again! We'll miss you - and look forward to hearing/reading about your adventures in AZ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally got me - stinker! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, hook line and sinker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has called to congratulate me today. We have such good friends. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so glad this was an april fools joke. i was getting angrier and angrier and i kept praying that this had to be a hoax! you are totally back on my birthday party invite list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Todd and Brooke!

    We're so happy for both of you!!! (And SO SAD for all of US!) Scottsdale IS nice; and with the two of you there, it will just be that much nicer.

    Thanks for all you've added to our ward while you've been here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may have to explain more to Bishop Pace...he might be a little concerned! Thanks for sharing! And, thanks for a great April Fools Day joke. :) We are so glad that you are staying!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm. Thanks Bishop!

    Looks like you missed the punch line though. Better go back and re-read the last line of the announcement, and don't forget to click the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You scumbag! Don't mess with me like that.
    (sent from my Palm Centro)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You didn't fool me for even one second. From the reactions here I can tell I would have been the only one happy about it had this been true. Oh well, hope springs eternal. Clearly the thought of moving to Arizona has crossed your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hands down, that was the best prank of the day! But, I am siding with your mom...you shouldn't toy with her emotions like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO glad this was a joke, i was yelling at matt "get in here and read this!" i wonder if he will fall for it like bishop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was all set to say congrats until I read the comments!! Great April Fools Joke!! By the way, I loved that you recognized where we got our baby's name from. It's takes a true baseball fan to recognize it.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. funny! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! Congratulations! This is one great news in the middle of this recession. :) Thanks for sharing :)
    To those who are interested on having a Director career path, please visit New Director Jobs for the latest job of the day review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Gwen Ann Wilson (if that is your real name). It's not often that we get comments from spammers, so I just wanted to say: Welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sucked! I was totally excited. I was even ready to call Cindy and Dave and make them let you stay there until you found your own place. I was surprised that they would have you interview on a Saturday too but I was like, "Oh well, if it got him here I'll go with it."

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG Todd! I was about to call up Stacey and yell at her for letting you leave WGU. You stinker. Anyway, now you see we have a blog. Nice joke... you got me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts