What We Did This Weekend:
Craigslist Rocks & Chinese Hostages

I'd used Craigslist before. The first time I heard of it was a few years ago when a guy in my masters program was talking about a boat he'd just purchased using the online classified listing. When we first moved to Kansas City we checked it regularly for cheap furniture and garage sales. When it came time to sell my first iMac, I listed it on Craigslist and got my asking price in under two days. We later sold the iBook we'd used while we were still in school. We also sold our old TV, DVD player, and Microwave, after moving into our house.

So when it came time to sell our 1997 Honda Accord, the obvious choice was to list it on Craigslist. Thursday night we got it washed, cleaned it out, wiped it down with ArmorAll, and took pictures as the sun was setting. The following morning I posted those pictures along with a small description of our car with just over 180K miles, and I prior salvage title, asking $3300. By 1:00pm I had $3000 cash in my hand and the car was gone. I love Craig and his sweet, little list.

Selling the car so quickly also meant that we could use the sale price to reduce the amount of sales tax we owed on our xB when we took it to be titled and registered on Saturday, which was really nice.

For our date on Friday, we went to Red Robins. Good food. The only problem was that we missed the artistic portion of the Opening Ceremonies while we were at dinner. We got home in time for the final song and the parade of nations. All of the highlights we've seen of the event are making me regret that our timing was so poor.

But, after missing the Opening Ceremonies, we were pleasantly held hostage by the city of Beijing and the Olympics for the remainder of the weekend. Our television was on virtually the entire day Saturday, as we watched swimming, beach volleyball, and some more swimming. Sunday after church we were enthralled by the gymnastics and still more swimming, capped off by the amazing comeback of the USA men's 4x100 freestyle relay team to beat the Frenchies, who had been talking a little smack prior to the final.

We can't get enough of the Olympics. Our Netflix subscription will be unused this week, I'm sure. Luckily we have plans for next weekend, so we'll be sure to get out of the house.

Comments

  1. I've already made a CD out of those songs you posted ... I like 'em. Way to go with your car, too. Did he get my floormats? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did he get your floormats? You'd better believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HELLOOOOOO! I have Internet!! Congrats on the sale! I wish we had Craigslist for this area but alas we are too hillbilly. All we have here is the Walmart line-up. You park your car, truck, boat, RV, motorcycle, or even your tractor (I'm so not kidding) in the back row and "BAM!" sold. I sold my bike in 1 day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts