What We Did This Weekend:
Werewolves and Applebee's

Let's start this post off with a question: When was the last time you played Mafia with a group of friends? Better yet, when was the last time you even thought about that game? Normally, I would answer, "Mafia? What's that?" And then, after a thorough explanation of the rules, I would concede that I remember having played it—in junior high.

But if I were being truthful, I would admit that I had thought about this game just last week as I pondered how we could have fun with the scriptures in seminary. My idea was to base it off of Mafia, but change the characters to be Gadianton Robbers and Prophets and Nephites, instead of Mafia, Police, and Citizens. And we could call it "Secret Combinations." But, with only five kids in my seminary class, it wouldn't really work.

Knowing this, how ironic is it that Friday night, at our Elders Quorum game night, the first game that we played was The Werewolves of Millers Hollow. It was a fun variation of Mafia (which, I seem to have known as Murder in the Dark, but come to find out, that's a totally different game that resembles Stuck in the Mud with the lights off).

Both of us were slightly skeptical about going to this game night because we knew there was a high probability of board games, and we're not big fans. But Werewolves was pretty fun. After that we divided the room and played Battle of the Sexes, which was much more fun before we got married. Now, it just seems to cause a lot of unnecessary contention. The guys won, but only because Mark cheated.

Everyone was asked to bring some sort of treat, and we pitched in with some Spring-themed Oreo cookies and a half-gallon of 1% milk. I have to say, the milk was brilliant. It's the perfect dessert beverage. We had plates and plates of cookies, and a few doughnut holes thrown in for good measure, and they were all complemented quite well by a tall glass short, disposable cup of milk.

Saturday night was fun too. We went to Applebees with some friends to celebrate a 32nd birthday. If you're a regular reader, you should already be familiar with our affinity for Applebees and a certain menu item we enjoy from time to time. Brookie ventured out and ordered an Asian-type salad. I stuck to my guns and ordered the usual. And, as usual, it was great. Of course, this particular trip to Applebees was better that most because we were sitting in a large booth with six other adults whose company we quite enjoy, along with two adorable babies to entertain us when we ran out of trivia questions.

Earlier that day, if the weather hadn't been so crumby, we might have also gone to the Lee's Summit St. Patrick's Day parade. Then again, if it's anything like the Kansas City parade, maybe it's best that we found other things to do instead.

And that's what we did this weekend!

Go to the board!

Comments

  1. I'm not sure about Mafia, but the last time I played what I know as "Murder in the Dark" was in a dank hotel in a small western Ukrainian village with my fellow ILP (International Language Program) teachers in Fall of 2003. We had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I played Mafia was 13 months ago, in my old supervisor's basement at a work party. It came right to me ... sad, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was appropriate that we played the game, Werewolf, so close to when New Moon is coming out on dvd. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I drank half that half gallon. mmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts