What We Did This Weekend:
Snowman Sam and Friends

It snowed again on Friday. We had heard that we were going to get 3-6 inches over night, so there was a chance that schools would be closed again, but there was only about an inch and a half on the ground when we woke up that morning. It continued to snow all day, until about 3:30pm when the snow finally started to slow down. And, since I needed a little break from work, I decided it would be a good time to shovel the driveway.

Shoveling the driveway the week after Christmas was tough because there was over a foot and a half of snow and it was 2ยบ outside (before the wind chill). Having had that experience a few weeks ago made Friday's shoveling easy. It was quite a bit warmer, and there was only about 2-3" of snow to move. While I was shoveling, I noticed that the snow was different than what we usually get. Most of the time our snow is really icy—the kind that is no good for snow forts and snowballs or anything like that. The snow that fell on Friday was good snow (if there is such a thing), and it gave me an idea! An awful idea! The snow gave me a wonderful, awful idea!*

*Okay. So there was nothing awful about my idea, but anytime you can get some mileage out of lines from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" in a post in February it's a good thing, right?

I finished the driveway just before Brookie got home from work. After she finished talking about her afternoon, I shared my idea with her. With every bit of the frogs, snails, and puppy-dog tails that I have left in my no-longer-little-boyness, I asked, "You wanna build a snowman?" I'm sure my excitement showed in my face, but I'm not so sure she noticed it.

"No."

There was no hesitation in her answer at all. Not even the slightest hint of consideration in her voice. I was devastated. I would have made a snowman by myself to welcome her home from work, but I waited because I thought it would be much more fun to make one together.

So we continued our after-work routine of asking about each other's days and sifting through the mail. After a little while, she asked me if I really wanted to go outside and build a snowman. All I had to do was smile, and she knew my answer. She reluctantly agreed, and we bundled up and went out to play in the snow.

We both agreed that we probably hadn't built a snowman in some time. Brookie said that she had probably been about eight years old the last time she'd made a snowman. For me it probably wasn't quite so long, but it had been long enough. We started in the backyard with the smallest of snowballs and began rolling them to the front of the house. When we started there was barely a trail left by our snowballs, but by the time my snow-boulder was nearing it's final resting spot, I needed Brookie's help to move it and it was pulling giant swaths of snow, leaves, and dirt from the ground.

And, after about an hour of fun in the snow, I present to you, Snowman Sam!*

*His name is Sam, but you have to say it right: It's Sa-yam, with a really thick drawl. The cowboy hat and the sweet moustache require that his name be properly pronounced.


Sam was there to greet a pair of pint-sized guests we had over to our house on Saturday. The video speaks for itself, but who says you need fancy blinking toys or video games to keep children entertained. A good imagination and a waste basket are more than enough for kids to entertain themselves (and countless others in the process).



And that's what we did this weekend!

Go to the board!

Comments

  1. Yum. I want some cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Snowman Sam have an uncle named Yosemite? The mustache is too good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Notice how in the background our Christmas garland is STILL up on our stairs (I know it is February - and our wreath and Christmas lights are still up too). I would like to claim the excuse that it has just been too cold to take it down...but we all know it is mostly laziness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts