What We Did This Weekend:
Out Like a Lion

Last Thursday we thought we would be in for one heck of a busy weekend. But by Saturday afternoon, we realized it had turned into one of our laziest.

Friday was the day set aside for a big youth activity at church. Brookie was helping with it, so I was going to tag along. They were taking the youth that had made progress in their respective programs out for some miniature golf, all in the name of a job well done. But the weather didn't cooperate (more on that later), so the activity was moved to the church.

The timing of the activity was going to force our date night to be a little later than normal. But we were fine with that. It wouldn't be the first time we ate dinner after 9:00pm. It was soon discovered, however, that there was a wedding reception at the church, and they didn't want to share the gym with our youth. So, in the end the activity was canceled, and we went to Applebee's in time to eat and get home to watch the Kansas Jayhawks lose their Sweet Sixteen™ match-up with Michigan State. After Thursday's game where Missouri man-handled Memphis, Friday's game was a let down. Then, although they fought hard, Missouri lost to UCONN Saturday. Now we have no ponies left in the race.

On that note, I seem to be noticing a pattern. Every year, the further we get into March Madness™, the less exciting it becomes. Am I alone on that? I love watching a 10-seed beat a 7-seed on day two, but I can barely bring myself to even check on when the Final Four™ will be televised.

Saturday was going to be a full day as well. The Stake Young Women's leaders had planned a dinner prior to the General Young Women's broadcast that night, but it was eventually canceled due to weather. So, instead of Brookie leaving for a dinner and conference session at 6:00pm, we watched some old episodes of Monk Saturday night as we ate our home-made version of Rumbi rice bowls.

But we did get out of the house Saturday morning to attend a baptism in our ward. Luckily the storm held off until after we got home. March definitely went out like a lion this year. I don't remember the trees ever being ice-coated from freezing rain this year, until it happened on Saturday. That sleet and freezing rain eventually turned to snow, and that snow kept falling until 7:00pm.

Sunday morning, we were a little worried about getting out of our driveway because of the snow. A few minutes before we left for church, I went downstairs to shovel away some ice and snow and spread some salt. Our garage is in our basement, so to get out, we back the car up a slope. The bit of shoveling and salt did the trick though. We backed out without a single skid. I jumped out of the car to close the garage, brimming with pride for my insight in purchasing ice melt the day before. It wasn't long, however, that I realized if I had been as smart as I thought, I would have also bought a snow shovel. When I got back in the car and tried to drive out of our driveway, the tires just spun. We were stuck. I seemed to be able to reverse just fine, but we couldn't go forward. It had never been a problem before. The difficult part had always been getting out of the garage.

I'll spare you the details, but it was an hour of pushing the car, laying down some well-placed twigs for traction, and shoveling paths through the snow with an edger on our runway of a driveway before we were finally on our way to church. Luckily we made it just in time for Sunday School. The good news was that I burned over 300 calories with all that work, which allowed me to partake of a brownie at the youth fireside later that night – a tender mercy if there ever was one.

And that's what we did this weekend.

Comments

  1. I loved this one ... sorry to hear about the hard time getting out of the driveway and all the cancelled activities, but you just told the story SO well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts