Why Does This Always Happen?

Brooke and I have found a television series that we can get into. We don't watch Lost, or My Name is Earl, or Scrubs, The Office, E.R., or C.S.I. Until we stumbled onto this show, our favorite TV shows were The Cosby Show (we now own seasons 1-5) and Knight Rider (we've watched season's 1-3 so far via Netflix).

Our new favorite show is NBC's Journeyman. I'm not totally sure how we found it. I know I screened the first three episodes before I told Brooke about it, and then we watched the first six episodes online. It is a fantastic show about one man's "condition" which takes him out of the present and thrusts him into a situation in the past, ala a former NBC hit, Quantum Leap, only not nearly as corny. His purpose is to find his "objective," someone in need of assistance, and to help them. It's a very clever show, and there are two things we really like about it. There is all sorts of history in the background as the main character goes back in time to the 70's, 80's, etc. But, more importantly, the show lacks the violence, sex, and crassness so often embedded in television's primetime. This show is clean, relatively speaking.

And, as it turns out, this show is also canceled.

Curse you, NBC! Why is it that the only two shows that I've made time for over the past eight years have been canceled? Probably because the shows were clean and everyone knows that sex sells. If you've known me for any length of time, you know that Ed is the other show that I loved. At least Ed made it four seasons. Journeyman only made it through nine episodes. We feel so ripped off. And, just to dump a pound of kosher salt in an open gash, Ed is still not available on DVD, four years later.

So, we had found a way to pass the time on Mondays from 9-10 CST, but now Journeyman has been replaced. Apparently a bald Howie Mandel and 26 well-framed briefcases get better ratings. At least American Idol starts tomorrow, right?

Comments

  1. I watched an episode with my dad and really enjoyed it, was looking forward to DVD-ing it. I too loved Ed. Jericho was cancelled and brought back because of fan support, there may be hope, but with the strike, more cancellations are happening just if things are merely on the edge, they don't want even the hassle these days. Some of my all-time favorite shows have been cancelled. (Firefly, Sports Night, Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts