Reynolds Unplugged...Our Technology Free Week

Earlier this year we came up with the idea to do a "Family Challenge Activity" each year, with last year being the first with our temple walk. A few weeks ago we did our challenge activity for this year: a technology vacation. We went without iPads, computers, cell phones, radio, news, etc for 7 days. Our hope was to both gain an appreciation of what blessings technology brings into our lives, as well as a better understanding of how to limit and how to use technology wisely in our lives. We even made a little lock box. So, the result? A definite success!

In my handwritten journal, I wrote on day 1: Today I have felt at peace all day. I have also felt less stressed, worried, and anxious! I have felt more patient with Savannah. On day 2 I wrote: Well, on day two I was missing my phone because there were some things I wanted to take care of by use of my phone. But on day 3 I said: I find that I am much more prone to serve my family, to study things of eternal worth, actually accomplish more in a greater amount of time. Get more sleep. Less tired and bored. More in tune with the Spirit. More desire to do His will and be shaped by Him. At the end of day 7 I wrote: This is the last day of our no technology week. It has been a blessing in my life and I am kind of not looking forward to being done. It's been nice to have the quiet. It's been nice to have excuses to work on the house and read. I have had more spiritual moments...

Without all our technology, we read a ton, baked a lot, played games, and cleaned. I was kind of dreading turning the computer and cell phone back on. But the first thing we did was unsubscribe from a bunch of junk email lists.

So...some observations of things learned:
TECHNOLOGY CAN help block out the world around you; help invite the Spirit; help you minister to others; enable you to do family history; help you learn; help you stay organized; help you stay in touch with people; offer more resources.

WITHOUT IT, I FOUND we have more time; I am less worried and anxious; I am calmer and more at peace; I am more in tune with the Spirit; I reach out personally to individuals more; I can get more done; I tend to focus more on what matters most; I commune with my Father more during the day; I ponder more; I work harder at having productive thoughts; I get more done; and a blessing for kids and looking to missionary service is that they have to use regular scriptures which will help them better know the scriptures; I am less busy so in that sense I am less stressed and more in tune.

So, we have tried to make a few adjustments, ie. not checking email as often, not using phone as often, reading more, things like that. It was a great week!

Comments

Popular Posts