The O'Neill Miracle

This will probably sound a little weird to you, and you might not believe us, and chances are you will think that we're crazy, but this past weekend was one of the best weekends of our lives. It wasn't a leisurely, fun-filled weekend spent in an exotic location (unless your definition of exotic is different than mine). It was hard. But regardless of how difficult our weekend was, it really was a great, great weekend – one we won't forget anytime soon.

The whole story is much too long (and a little too sacred) for a blog post. But, if you're ever in a situation with us, and the Spirit lets you know that the time would be right to hear it, we'll give it to you. Here's your fair warning though: you will probably cry. And that's okay. For now, I will tell you about the miraculous part of our weekend. And you still might cry, and that's still okay.

In the end, this opportunity fell through. It was Saturday night when we started to understand that the scale was tipping, and it wasn't tipping in our favor. Our "team," which included us, our agent, and the dear, sweet gardian angel of a woman who was by our side nearly every moment of our O'Neill experience, decided that we had done all we could do, so we left the hospital.

When Brookie and I returned to our hotel room we were spent. We didn't know what to do. We knew we could exercise our faith. We could fast. We could certainly pray. But I felt like we needed more faith and more prayers that the two of us could offer. What we needed was a miracle. And I knew that we needed help if that miracle was going to happen. So we both got on our phones and called our families and our friends. We asked them to call more family and more friends, and we told them that we needed an emergency fast. We couldn't give them any details because physically, and emotionally, we couldn't. All we could do as we blubbered and sobbed on the phone was ask for help.

We know that there were hundreds of people praying for us and fasting with us when they heard about our situation. We told you that we needed a miracle. But, the funny thing about miracles, they don't always happen the way you think they will.

It was Sunday morning when we learned that we would be driving home with an empty car seat (which was then safely and securely fastened in our car, thanks to the one of the many kind nurses we met who took the time to show me how to properly install the thing). We were devastated. Our agent asked if we were just going to head back for home as we were leaving the hospital. But I told him that we would go to church and then decide what we were going to do. It was all Brookie could do to just sit through the meetings and not lose it.

We made it through church and we asked our agent if he would come up to our room to help me give Brookie a priesthood blessing of comfort. While we waited for him, we both prayed. We asked for peace. We asked for comfort. And we asked for help to know why this had turned out as it had, and what He intended us to learn. Our agent arrived, and then left after the blessing. Then Brookie and I sat down and wept. In between teary breathing spurts, we began to talk about everything, and over the course of the next few hours we experienced the most miraculous thing that has ever happened to us.

We felt the Spirit comforting us. We felt the love of our Savior like we had never felt before. And a river of pure intelligence and eternal truths began to flow into our minds as we were taught the lessons that God would have us learn. We began to understand why we had come to O'Neill, NE and been made to go through everything that had happened that weekend. I learned that if you sincerely and humbly ask "why me?" or in our case, "why us?" the Lord will tell you exactly why.

We were expecting our miracle to be something like a spiritual revelation given to the birthmother that would somehow convince her to relinquish her baby boy. But the miracle we actually received was no less amazing than an angelic appearance would have been. The Savior healed us sooner than we could have ever imagined. We again called our loved ones and tried to explain to them that we were okay, but I don't think they believed us. Your fasting, your prayers, and your faith, combined with ours, did indeed produce the miracle we asked for. It wasn't what we thought it would be, but it was exactly what the Lord knew we needed.

That evening we had dinner in the home of our angel, Barb. As the three of us sat in her apartment we were enveloped by the peace of God. We shared insights that we had been given, and the Holy Ghost witnessed to all of us of their truthfulness. It was a laughter-filled, joyous meal as we all basked in God's Glory. After dinner we said goodbye, went back to the hotel, and slept more soundly than we had in nearly a week.

The next morning we started our trip home. We hadn't been on the road for more than twenty minutes when our song came on, and we sang it louder than ever, and with bigger smiles on our faces than you could possibly imagine. And that's what we did this weekend.



I'm not surprised.
Not everything lasts.
I've broken my heart so many times,
I stop keeping track.
Talk myself in.
I talk myself out.
I get all worked up,
And then I let myself down.

I tried so very hard not to lose it.
I came up with a million excuses.
I thought I thought of every possibility.

And I know someday that it'll all turn out.
You'll make me work so we can work to work it out.
And I promise you kid that I'll give so much more than I get–
I just haven't met you yet.

Mmmmm ....

I might have to wait.
I'll never give up.
I guess it's half timing,
And the other half's luck.
Wherever you are,
Whenever it's right,
You'll come out of nowhere and into my life.

And I know that we can be so amazing.
And baby your love is gonna change me.
And now I can see every possibility.

Mmmmm ....

And somehow I know that it will all turn out.
And you'll make me work so we can work to work it out.
And I promise you kid I'll give so much more than I get–
I just haven't met you yet.

They say all's fair,
In love and war,
But I won't need to fight it.
We'll get it right,
And we'll be united.

And I know that we can be so amazing.
And being in your life is gonna change me.
And now I can see every single possibility.

Mmmm ....

And someday I know it'll all turn out.
And I'll work to work it out.
Promise you kid I'll give more than I get,
Than I get, than I get, than I get–

Oh you know it'll all turn out.
And you'll make me work so we can work to work it out.
And I promise you kid to give so much more than I get–
Yeah I just haven't met you yet.

I just haven't met you yet.
Oh promise you kid,
To give so much more than I get.

I said love, love, love, love, love, love, love.
I just haven't met you yet.
Love, love, love.
I just haven't met you yet.


Go to the board!

Comments

  1. You're right Todd, I did cry. Thank you for sharing your experience. It's amazing how the Lord can carry us through when we've reached our limits and how He makes the impossible survivable. Your post brought back the feelings from a similar experience, thank you. It was a wonderful reminder of those moments that have given foundation to my testimony. My thoughts and prayers remain with you and Brooke, I'm so glad to hear that you're in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying and loving you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. What a wonderful experience for such wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd and Brooke,
    I love you both! Thank you for sharing your testimony. What a beautiful experience. Just like your song says, "it'll all turn out." I know that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think of you guys whenever I hear that song. Tender mercies come in all shapes, sizes, and forms, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Todd and Brooke
    I just want you to know how amazing I think you are. God does show us the way and the why of things at our lowest moments, and I do beleive, that you "Just haven't met" the one for you yet!
    Thank you for sharing your spirit, and testimony with us.
    Amazingly, I know "it will all turn out"! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Todd and Brooke,
    I'm so glad I found your post. I understand the thoughts you speak of and I felt them when I found I had miscarried many years ago. Instead of being sad, the spirit filled my life and it was truly a wonderful spiritual uplift that I probably could not have gotten any other way. You both are still in my prayers and thoughts. Brooke, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

    You both are truly wonderful people. Brooke, you are such a great visiting teacher and a wonderful example to me.

    Love you!
    Lorrie Blake

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a miracle it is to be lifted by the spirit in such a time that was heart breaking. May the Lord always bless you and when a sweet baby does come to your home it will be among the luckiest to have you for parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts and prayers have been with you both. How wonderful that the Lord answers ours prayers, in His way, better than we could ever plan for ourselves. Your children will be so cherished and loved. The time you are waiting will seem but a moment. You are God's children just as are the sweet spirits that are waiting to enter your home, He is mindful of all of you. God bless!!! And thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two are amazing. Such a hard experience for you, but you are lifing everyone else up as you share your testimony. You are going to be the best mom and dad ever...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you two are amazing. I'm glad that this turned out to be a good experience for you (even though it wasn't in the way you were hoping). You two are very strong; great examples for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your strength and faith amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prayers are indeed a wonderful thing. What comfort the Lord can bring, when we but ask.
    May he continue to bless you both with his love and guidance.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you...

Popular Posts